Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sarah Palin

Today's topic for my many readers (IE..myself): Sarah Palin.

All right, I must admit I like the woman. I voted for her as Governor when I lived in Alaska and I voted for her as the VP (technically I had to vote for McCain to vote for her). I think that on her own with another true conservative that ticket would have been stronger. I admire John McCain but really think that he is to quick to cave to liberals on some issues.

Sarah Palin has faced so much scrutiny from the left that it is hard for me to fathom where the hatred is coming from. Aren't democrats supposed to be the party of inclusion? The protector of minority and women's rights? If the right had smeared Geraldine Ferraro to the extent that the left wing media and other politicians have Palin than we would still be hearing fallout from it today.

Is Sarah Palin a perfect shining example of everything that is right in the world? No. Who is though when you dig through every imaginable detail of their life? What she appears to be is a normal, smart woman who loves her family, state, and country. She doesn't dress up facts to paint a pretty picture for constituents leaving all to think they have her support. She puts her opinions out front with no room for interpretation and speaks plainly to make sure there is no confusion.

With Sarah Palin we wouldn't have had the cop and beer saga we all just enjoyed. First, she wouldn't have commented on the situation without facts and when (if) she did it would have been a plain statement of her feeling on the issue without inflammatory language to make the situation worse. Something along the lines of "the police were wrong to arrest an American citizen in their own home" or "when police are investigating a potential break in of your residence, you should cooperate with them for your own safety and if you aren't you need to be removed from the situation". Do I know which stand she would take? No, but I can make an educated guess.

Anyway the point of this drive by is that I am sick of pretty words that mean nothing and statements from politicians designed to appease whatever group is being addressed at the moment. For the next 3+ years we are going to hear nothing but dressed up polish to make bad policies seem good with imaginary numbers pulled out of thin air to support them. Let's hope and work hard to make sure it is not for 7+ more years. We can make a start in 2010 by sending a clear message that we are not happy with excessive spending, broken campaign promises and intrusion by the federal government into our daily lives.

I like Sarah Palin's straight talk and even if I don't agree with her on everything she is the only politician I trust right now to be completely truthful with me. She deserves better, more balanced treatment from the media, but then again, so do all conservatives right now. I hope she runs in 2012 and if not I hope another strong Conservative leader emerges and fills the leadership gap on the ticket.

No comments: