Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why Religion Should be a Non-Issue

I was reading the responses on my favorite Blog (http://anotherblackconservative.blogspot.com)

What struck me was the amount of discussion about how non-Christian conservatives don't feel like there is a place for them in the conservative landscape. I think the problem here is two-fold. First, there are a lot of people in the conservative movement that feel like just because someone isn't a Christian that they don't share the same beliefs and that is a legitimate problem in organizing a legitimate effort to bring conservative values to the forefront of American politics.
Second, the people who complain about this don't look very hard. There are many people out there in the conservative land that are supportive and offer encouragement to the people who share conservative values, just not the religous belief. This includes myself, I grew up as a Jehova's Witness but since I have been old enough to decide my beliefs for myself I have determined that my belief in and relationship with God would be a private one. I haven't been to church in a very long time but I believe in treating others with respect and dignity and there isn't a single one of the Ten Commandments I don't believe are common sense even if they didn't come from God. If everyone followed them we would be pretty well off and I think they are pretty in line with the conservative belief system. So if someone believes in the contents of the Commandments and the Constitution does it really matter if their belief system is based on being an active Christian? I don't believe so.

American conservatism should be about limited government involvement in our daily lives, responsible fiscal discipline in government, respect for life and liberty, strong national defense, and personal responsibility. Anyone that shares most of those beliefs should be welcomed and encouraged to be active in promoting those beliefs and that should include Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, and even the people who think aliens created us and planted humans on earth to grow. Your religious belief doesn't matter, it doesn't matter if you are black, white, green, purple or transparent either. Fighting for your rights against the vast masses of people willing to believe liberal lunacy is hard enough without us letting minor differences among people with the same core beliefs divide us.

No comments: